How would Paul summarize things? Well, he would suggest that I fill my mind on some things that are positive. Not the power of positive thinking but something way beyond that. I need to practice these things. Peace will be mine if I do. There is a blessing attached to this.
Here are some ideas he suggests to me to think on and contemplate about:
- What is true
- What is so amazingly noble
- Who has a reputation for being Godly and who is authentic
- What is God compelling me to do in His power
- What do I know about God’s gracious nature
- The best that I have seen Jesus do
- Things that are so amazingly beautiful
- All I have to give thanks and praise for
There is plenty here to focus on. If I focus my thoughts and action on these things, I will have peace.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:8-9