Bruce Temkin at Customer Experience Matters has done a masterful survey on what distinguishes purposeful leaders.
Jesus, of course, wants purposeful leaders who are focused on what God wants to have done today. Purposeful leadership is key to a culture in our ministries that is focused on delivering amazing God-experiences for disciples.
We compared the frequency with which very successful leaders demonstrated the behaviors with the frequency demonstrated by other managers. The behaviors with the largest gaps represent the most distinguishing characteristics of purposeful leaders. via 10 Behaviors That Distinguish Purposeful Leaders | Customer Experience Matters.
So what are great leaders who are disciples of Jesus much more likely to do?
- Motivate disciples to deliver their best work
- Help disciples understand complex situations by describing things in simple terms
- Help disciples make decisions by presenting clear options between following Jesus or not
- Motivate disciples to work together to achieve God’s goal
- Look beyond obvious choices to find God’s solutions
- Admit to his or her mistakes when there is a problem
- Help disciples identify and achieve their personal goals that God has given them
- Make decisions that will help the ministry achieve its long-term goals even if they do not benefit the ministry right away
- Disciple others
- Communicate a clear and compelling vision of the future