Jesus challenges us to focus on what God is doing today, right now. That is all that Jesus did. He focused like no one else on that one thing. He gave it His entire attention. Nothing else matters. This is not easy at all. It is not the way of this world. It is the way of God’s world (Kingdom).
In our culture, we are big on planning. It is an obsession. It is big business. We all want to be strategic. We miss today’s opportunities as a result.
The other side of this is equally disturbing. We whine and complain about what God didn’t do yesterday. We miss what God is doing by choosing to see what he didn’t do.
Jerusalem will be told: “Don’t be afraid. Dear Zion, don’t despair. Your God is present among you, a strong Warrior there to save you. Happy to have you back, he’ll calm you with his love and delight you with his songs. Zephaniah 3:17 The Message (MSG)
Jesus knew that if we did today what God wants us to, tomorrow will take care of itself.
Here are the key ideas:
- Jesus challenges us to focus exclusively on what God is doing.
- God’s goal is for us to be obedient to him. God wants us to love him.
- God is God and it isn’t our place to question what he is doing. God is a mighty warrior. God is committed to seeing us through to the end.
- God is in a good mood and takes care of our needs today and always.
- God is great and doing amazing things right now.
“Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.” (Matthew 6:34 The Message)