Our God is. He is now. His promise is now. His presence is now. He is!!
The future is going to great. But so is now. His offer to me isn’t the distant future. “Just keep slogging away and I will reward you in heaven” kind of world. It is in this age as well in the age to come. Many times more now that I can expect. It is “both today and forever”.
First in the physical world. Then in the spiritual world. Many times more in the physical now.
Paul talks about the same thing. The promise is for now and for the future. God’s goal for us is that we will be spiritually fit. This requires a very disciplined life.
Here are the key ideas:
- Faith requires discipline in believing that God is good and will see us through to the end.
- God’s goal is for us to be spiritually fit.
- God is in control. Faith believes that today. That faith gives us hope. We can take heart.
- God expects us to throw ourselves totally into his work.
- God is great because he chooses to save all of us from a life of missing his goal for us.
You’ve been raised on the Message of the faith and have followed sound teaching. Now pass on this counsel to the followers of Jesus there, and you’ll be a good servant of Jesus. Stay clear of silly stories that get dressed up as religion. Exercise daily in God—no spiritual flabbiness, please! Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever. You can count on this. Take it to heart. This is why we’ve thrown ourselves into this venture so totally. We’re banking on the living God, Savior of all men and women, especially believers. 1 Timothy 4:8