Baptism, Baptize, Holy Spirit, Jesus, John the Baptist, Kingdom, Kingdom of God, Luke 3, River
John the Baptizer was doing some amazing things. People were coming out to see him in droves.
John was clear and he was careful.
It wasn’t about him. It was about Jesus. He saw himself as the stagehand.
His message about Jesus was amazing:
- He would ignite the Kingdom life in us.
- He would bring a fire within us, the Holy Spirit.
- We would be changed from the inside out by Him.
- He would make a clean sweep in our lives.
- He puts everything in proper perspective.
- Everything in our life that is trash is burned in the fire of His Spirit.
But John intervened: “I’m baptizing you here in the river. The main character in this drama, to whom I’m a mere stagehand, will ignite the kingdom life, a fire, the Holy Spirit within you, changing you from the inside out. He’s going to clean house—make a clean sweep of your lives. He’ll place everything true in its proper place before God; everything false he’ll put out with the trash to be burned.” Luke 3:16-17