- There are certain building blocks, where the focus leads from one to another. Am I building on them every day?
- My time and attention needs to be on God’s goal for me. Jesus has given me a list of goal areas to plan around. Jesus challenges me to grow and not stagnate.
- Jesus has also empowered me with the Holy Spirit to help me become mature. I can’t do it on my own. It is all about Jesus.
- Faith alone isn’t enough. I must build on the foundation of faith daily. Faith, on its on, isn’t enough for maturity.
“So don’t lose a minute in building on what you’ve been given, complementing your basic faith with good character, spiritual understanding, alert discipline, passionate patience, reverent wonder, warm friendliness, and generous love, each dimension fitting into and developing the others. With these qualities active and growing in your lives, no grass will grow under your feet, no day will pass without its reward as you mature in your experience of our Master Jesus. Without these qualities you can’t see what’s right before you, oblivious that your old sinful life has been wiped off the books.” ~Apostle Peter
Source: 2 Peter 1:5-8 (The Message)
Here is the list of the seven to focus on, building on our foundation of faith:
- Good character, virtue and excellence
- Knowledge and spiritual understanding
- Discipline and self-control
- Passionate patience and steadfastness
- Reverent wonder and godliness
- Brotherly affection and friendliness
- Generous love