Jesus is done with his mission. Jesus has presided over the last supper. At this time, what does Jesus have to say to his Father in prayer? Jesus knows it is now time. Imagine that. Every detail completed. Nothing left to do at all.
Here are a few of the points of the long prayer. Read it all here.
- Is it time? Jesus knows that it is. Everything is ready for the final act, his death and resurrection. Jesus is ready.
- What is the mission? Jesus must reflect the splendor of God. That splendor is simply a reflection however.
- Who is in charge? Jesus is in charge of God’s Country (aka the Kingdom of God). Jesus is in charge of everything. Jesus is the Messiah.
- What does Jesus bring me? Jesus brings life to me. Now that is some good news for sure. That life is forever (eternal) and that is a very long time!
- What is God’s goal? Jesus has completed every single detail God asked him to accomplish. God’s goal is the most important thing.
- Jesus is not afraid to ask God to glorify him with God’s own splendor. This is bold but Jesus is confident. Jesus knows what God wants. It is now time.
“Jesus said these things. Then, raising his eyes in prayer, he said:
Father, it’s time.
Display the bright splendor of your Son
So the Son in turn may show your bright splendor.
You put him in charge of everything human
So he might give real and eternal life to all in his charge.
And this is the real and eternal life:
That they know you,
The one and only true God,
And Jesus the Messiah, whom you sent.
I glorified you on earth
By completing down to the last detail
What you assigned me to do.
And now, Father, glorify me with your very own splendor,
The very splendor I had in your presence
Before there was a world.” ~Jesus
Source: John 17:1-5