God is patient with me when I miss His goal (aka sin). Jesus perfectly models that for me. Jesus is my example. Jesus shows me the way. I can’t do it on my own.
Romans 2:4 says that God’s patience leads to my changing my mind (aka repentance). Romans 9:22 points out that only God’s patience prevents Him from destroying “the objects of his wrath.” Paul glorifies the Lord for His “unlimited patience” that saved him, “the worst of sinners” (1 Timothy 1:16).
Peter highlights the patience of God in 1 Peter 3:20, pointing out that God had immense patience with the evil people of Noah’s day, delaying judgment as long as possible (Genesis 6).
Today, “our Lord’s patience gives people time to be saved” (2 Peter 3:15, NLT). Jesus wants me to change my mind (repent). Have mercy on me Master Jesus! Thanks be to God He does have mercy.
The patience of Jesus the Messiah
- 1 Timothy 1:16 — Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus the Messiah might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.
- Matthew 17:17 — And Jesus answered and said, “You unbelieving and perverted generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring him here to Me.”
- John 14:9 — Jesus said to him, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
- 2 Peter 3:15 — Regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you.
- Revelation 2:21 — ‘I gave her time to repent, and she does not want to repent of her immorality.