I have a lot to learn about obedience. I have a great teacher in Jesus the Messiah.
Jesus “learned obedience” not in the sense that He was prone to disobedience and had to bring rebelliousness under control, but in the sense that He fully entered the human experience. As a child, He obeyed His parents (Luke 2:51); as an adult, He obeyed the Law (Matthew 5:17) and fulfilled all righteousness (Matthew 3:15).
All His life, Jesus completely fulfilled the Father’s will (John 8:29; 15:10; Hebrews 10:9). He knew what obedience was prior to His incarnation, of course, but He “learned” obedience on earth by experiencing it. In every situation, no matter how difficult, the Son was obedient to the Father: “The Sovereign Master has opened my ears; I have not been rebellious, I have not turned away. I offered my back to those who beat me” (Isaiah 50:5–6).
- Jesus the Messiah was totally obedient to his Father’s will. Obedience was central to Jesus the Messiah’s life and thought.
- John 4:34 (NASB) — Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to accomplish His work.”
- Hebrews 10:9 (NASB) — He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will.” He takes away the first in order to establish the second.
- Matthew 3:15 (NASB) — But Jesus answering said to him, “Permit it at this time; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he permitted Him.
- Matthew 8:9–10 (NASB) — “For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to this one, ‘Go!’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come!’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this!’ and he does it.” Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those who were following, “Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel.
- John 5:30 (NASB) — “I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.”
- John 6:38 (NASB) — “For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.
- John 14:31 (NASB) — but so that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me. Get up, let us go from here.
- Hebrews 10:7 (NASB) — “Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come (In the scroll of the book it is written of Me) To do Your will, O God.’ ”
- Psalm 40:7–8 (NASB) — Then I said, “Behold, I come; In the scroll of the book it is written of me. I delight to do Your will, O my God; Your Law is within my heart.”