How important is rest?
God needed it and got it.
Jesus needed it and got it. Even in the middle of a huge storm, Jesus could get rest. This was shocking to the disciples. They were stunned.
Jesus Himself was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?” | Mark 4:38 (NASB)
I need rest as well. And good news, Jesus will give me rest. The need for physical rest is recognized in Scripture, and provision is made for ensuring that people are allowed time for rest.
- Did Jesus the Messiah needed physical rest? Yes! And he got it. Perhaps not as often as He wanted, but He got it. Jesus would take a break.
- John 4:6 — Jacob’s well was there. So Jesus, being wearied from His journey, was sitting thus by the well. It was about the sixth hour.
- Mark 4:38 — Jesus Himself was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?”
- Mark 6:31 — And Jesus said to them, “Come away by yourselves to a secluded place and rest a while.” (For there were many people coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat.)
- Luke 9:58 — And Jesus said to him, “The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.”