I am looking for Jesus in all the wrong places. I think “he was”. My language and my attitude is focused on Him as a historical figure.
Jesus is having none of that. Jesus IS. Jesus IS alive.
That’s it and that is enough for today. I’m going to focus on that.
When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so they could embalm him. Very early on Sunday morning, as the sun rose, they went to the tomb. They worried out loud to each other, “Who will roll back the stone from the tomb for us?”
Then they looked up, saw that it had been rolled back—it was a huge stone—and walked right in. They saw a young man sitting on the right side, dressed all in white. They were completely taken aback, astonished.
He said, “Don’t be afraid. I know you’re looking for Jesus the Nazarene, the One they nailed on the cross. He’s been raised up; he’s here no longer. You can see for yourselves that the place is empty. Now—on your way. Tell his disciples and Peter that he is going on ahead of you to Galilee. You’ll see him there, exactly as he said.” | Mark 16:1-7 (The Message Bible)
Jesus, in response to the religious leaders and elites question “Who do you think you are?” said, “‘Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.’ ‘You are not yet fifty years old,’ the Jews said to him, ‘and you have seen Abraham!’ ‘I tell you the truth,’ Jesus answered, ‘before Abraham was born, I am!’
- At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds” (John 8:56–59).
- The violent response of the Jews to Jesus’ “I AM” statement indicates they clearly understood what He was declaring—that He was the eternal God incarnate.
- Jesus was equating Himself with the “I AM” title God gave Himself in Exodus 3:14.
Jesus used the same phrase “I AM” in seven declarations about Himself. In all seven, He combines I AM with tremendous metaphors which express His saving relationship toward the world. All appear in the book of John.
- I AM the Bread of Life (John 6:35, 41, 48, 51)
- I AM the Light of the World (John 8:12)
- I AM the Door of the Sheep (John 10:7, 9)
- I AM the Good Shepherd (John 10:11,14)
- I AM the Resurrection and the Life (John 11:25)
- I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6)
- I AM the True Vine (John 15:1, 5)