There are two kinds of magnifying: microscope magnifying and telescope magnifying. The one makes a small thing look bigger than it is. The other makes a big thing begin to look as big as it really is.
- When David says, “I will magnify God with thanksgiving,” he does not mean, “I will make a small God look bigger than he is.” He means, “I will make a big God begin to look as big as he really is.”
- I am not called to be a microscope. I am called to be telescope. Disciples are not called to be con-men who magnify their product out of all proportion to reality, when they know the competitor’s product is far superior. There is nothing and nobody superior to God. And so the calling of those who love God is to make his greatness begin to look as great as it really is.
That’s why I exist, why I am saved. As Peter says in 1 Peter 2:9, “You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.”
- The whole duty of the disciple can be summed up in this: feel, think, and act in a way that will make God look as great as he really is. Be a telescope for the world of the infinite starry wealth of the glory of God.
- This is what it means for a disciple to magnify God. But you can’t magnify what I haven’t seen or what I quickly forget.
Magnify God — By honoring him. Therefore, my first task is to see and to remember the greatness and goodness of God. So I pray to God, “Open the eyes of my heart!” (Ephesians 1:18), and I preach to my soul, “Soul, forget not all his benefits!” (Psalm 103:2).
- 1 Timothy 6:15–16 — Which He will bring about at the proper time—He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Master of Masters, who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen.
- Isaiah 26:13 — O Master our God, other masters besides You have ruled us; But through You alone we confess Your name.
- Malachi 2:1–2 — “And now this commandment is for you, O priests. “If you do not listen, and if you do not take it to heart to give honor to My name,” says the Master of hosts, “then I will send the curse upon you and I will curse your blessings; and indeed, I have cursed them already, because you are not taking it to heart.
- John 5:22–23 — “For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son, so that all will honor the Son even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.
- 1 Corinthians 6:19–20 — Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.
- 1 Timothy 1:17 — Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.
- Revelation 7:9–12 — After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could count, from every nation and all tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, and palm branches were in their hands; and they cry out with a loud voice, saying, “Salvation to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.” And all the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures; and they fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, saying, “Amen, blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and might, be to our God forever and ever. Amen.”