This is striking. The first thing to note here is that Jesus saw the people. He didn’t look past them. He wasn’t preoccupied. Jesus sees us and sees our condition. Yes, I am dispirited. I am distressed.
Jesus sees. Jesus knows. What an amazing King we serve.
Compassion is an attitude of care and concern, grounded in love and sympathy towards others. It us given to me by Jesus. It is a great gift, shown by His mercy and grace.
My compassion towards others should reflect the compassion of God for his people. I need more compassion in my life. I need it today. I need to see people and their distress.
“Seeing the people, He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd.” | Matthew 9:36
- Compassion is a vital requirement in the followers of Jesus character: As a follower of Jesus, compassion is vital for me. It is all about love. Do I care? Am I concerned? Do I have sympathy? These are all emotions of love. Compassion is about being kind.
- Ephesians 4:32 — Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other, just as God in the Messiah also has forgiven you.
- I have been chosen. God has expectations for me. I am set apart for a mission. In my heart I need to feel compassion. Compassion is a strong emotion which compels me to care deeply.
- Colossians 3:12 — So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
- 2 Corinthians 1:3 — Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus the Messiah, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For just as the sufferings of the Messiah are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through the Messiah.
- I have been comforted.
- Having received comfort, I need to show it to others.
- 1 Peter 3:8 — To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit.
- Peter knows how sympathetic our Master is.
- Peter experienced it first hand. He knows how to sum it up.