Jesus wants me to love. Jesus wants me to do good. Jesus wants me to not expect anything in return when I do good.
Jesus promises me I will have a reward. I will be a son of God. Now that is some good news. Jesus is all about good news. My job, as the slave of Jesus, is to obey. Nothing but good will come from that.
But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.
~Jesus | Luke 6:35
Will good works will be rewarded? Yes, Jesus is clear that I will be rewarded, as a disciple, for the good works God performs through me. The reward includes resurrection of life and becoming a son of God.
Goodness is not a quality I can manufacture on my own. James 1:17 says, “Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights.”
- This certainly includes a life characterized by goodness.
- In letting the Holy Spirit control me, I am blessed with the fruit of goodness.
- As others see my good works, they will praise our Father in heaven (Matthew 5:16).
“Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.” | Galatians 6:9–10
What does this mean for me as a disciple?
- Where I had harbored selfishness, cruelty, rebelliousness, and spite, I now possess love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
- Everything in the list reflects the character of God, and goodness is one that relates directly to morality.In Galatians 5:22-23, Paul lists the “fruit of the Spirit”.
- “Fruit,” here, means “beneficial results,” the good things that come from the Spirit’s indwelling.
- As the Holy Spirit works in my life, my character changes.