What does Jesus want from me? Jesus wants me to listen. Jesus wants me to be a good and faithful servant.
My mission is to do what Master Jesus wants me to do, today and every day. Listening involves doing. Loving my neighbor involves action.
To hear God’s voice I must belong to God. Jesus said, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me” (John 10:27). Those who hear God’s voice are those who belong to Him — those who have been saved by His grace through faith in the Master Jesus. These are the sheep who hear and recognize His voice, because they know Him as their Shepherd. If I am to recognize God’s voice, I must belong to Him.
Listening — To God’s word and his spokesmen
Jesus is clear. “He who has ears”? All people who have been or are being given the words of God. Like the parables’ original audience, we must also “Listen up! Pay close attention!” Jesus’ simple request is that we use our God-given faculties (eyes to see, ears to hear) to tune in to His words (John 10:27 –28; Mark 4:24; Revelation 3:20). “For whatever is hidden is meant to be disclosed, and whatever is concealed is meant to be brought out into the open” (Mark 4:22). Seeking God’s truth takes energy and focus; it takes a willingness to be challenged and changed. While the way of God’s truth is not the most convenient or fun path to take, we can be assured that it is the best one (John 1:4; 10:9; 14:6). And so He bids us, “Come” (Matthew 11:28 –30).
- Acts 13:16 — Paul stood up, and motioning with his hand said, “Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen.”
- 1 Samuel 3:10 — Then the Master came and stood and called as at other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel said, “Speak, for Your servant is listening.”
- 2 Chronicles 20:15 — and he said, “Listen, all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem and King Jehoshaphat: thus says the Master to you, ‘Do not fear or be dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God’s.
- Psalm 81:8 — “Hear, O My people, and I will admonish you; O Israel, if you would listen to Me!
- Jeremiah 26:3–6 — ‘Perhaps they will listen and everyone will turn from his evil way, that I may repent of the calamity which I am planning to do to them because of the evil of their deeds.’ “And you will say to them, ‘Thus says the Master, “If you will not listen to Me, to walk in My law which I have set before you, to listen to the words of My servants the prophets, whom I have been sending to you again and again, but you have not listened; then I will make this house like Shiloh, and this city I will make a curse to all the nations of the earth.” ’ ”
- Micah 1:2 — Hear, O peoples, all of you; Listen, O earth and all it contains, And let the Master God be a witness against you, The Master from His holy temple.
- Acts 2:14 — But Peter, taking his stand with the eleven, raised his voice and declared to them: “Men of Judea and all you who live in Jerusalem, let this be known to you and give heed to my words.”
- Acts 28:28 — “Therefore let it be known to you that this salvation of God has been sent to the Gentiles; they will also listen.”