God has an agreement with me. God is good for His word. This agreement is sealed with the blood of my Master Jesus. It doesn’t get any better than that.
A covenant is an agreement between two parties. In the scriptures, it is between God and His people or certain specific individuals. The fulfilment of God’s purposes of salvation expressed in the covenants of the scriptures, mediated by Jesus the Messiah and sealed in his blood. It is a covenant of grace, the benefits of which include forgiveness, a renewed relationship with God and, through the Holy Spirit, an inward transformation that enables obedience to its demands and so ensures that it will not again be broken.
God’s loyalty to his people: God’s covenant loyalty
The New Covenant (or New Testament) is the promise that God makes with humanity that He will forgive sin and restore fellowship with those whose hearts are turned toward Him. Jesus the Messiah is the mediator of the New Covenant, and His death on the cross is the basis of the promise (Luke 22:20). The New Covenant was predicted while the Old Covenant was still in effect — the prophets Moses, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel all allude to the New Covenant.
- Deuteronomy 7:9 — “Know therefore that the Master your God, He is God, the faithful God, who keeps His covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments;
- 1 Kings 8:23 — He said, “O Master, the God of Israel, there is no God like You in heaven above or on earth beneath, keeping covenant and showing loving kindness to Your servants who walk before You with all their heart.”
- Nehemiah 1:5 — I said, “I beseech You, O Master God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who preserves the covenant and lovingkindness for those who love Him and keep His commandments.”
- Psalm 25:10 — All the paths of the Master are lovingkindness and truth To those who keep His covenant and His testimonies.
- Psalm 89:28 — “My lovingkindness I will keep for him forever, And My covenant shall be confirmed to him.”
- Psalm 103:17–18 — But the lovingkindness of the Master is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, And His righteousness to children’s children, to those who keep His covenant And remember His precepts to do them.
- Psalm 106:45 — And He remembered His covenant for their sake, And relented according to the greatness of His lovingkindness.
- Isaiah 54:10 — “For the mountains may be removed and the hills may shake, But My loving kindness will not be removed from you, And My covenant of peace will not be shaken,” Says the Master who has compassion on you.
- Isaiah 55:3 — “Incline your ear and come to Me. Listen, that you may live; And I will make an everlasting covenant with you, According to the faithful mercies shown to David.”