Paul rightly lets me know it is about obeying the message of the good news. That is the difference. Do I need to hear more or do more? I need to do more.
I need to submit to my Master Jesus and love like He commands me to do. Obeying Jesus leads to more faith.
But they have not all obeyed the good news. For Isaiah says, “Master, who has believed what he has heard from us?” So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of the Messiah. But I ask, have they not heard? Indeed they have. | Romans 10:16-18
There is much to be said about faith. So … I start with God. God is the object of my faith. I start with belief in Him. My faith gets tested some days. God is patient with me, waiting for me to work out my faith.
My faith needs to grow. Like the man who came to Jesus looking for a miracle, I say “I do believe; help my unbelief.” (Mark 9:24)
I want radical faith in my life. May it rain down on you and me. May we bath in it to the stunning beauty of our Master Jesus. Now that is a good word!
Perhaps the strongest statement emphasizing faith comes during the risen Jesus’ encounter with the so-called “doubting Thomas,” where Jesus says, “Happy are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe” (John 20:29). While Jesus performed visible signs during His ministry for others to see and believe, such signs could be abused and misunderstood. In John, Jesus praises the kind of unseeing faith that believes Jesus is the crucified and risen Messiah and Master who alone saves.
- Hebrews 11:6 — And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.
- Psalm 25:1–2 — To You, O Master, I lift up my soul. O my God, in You I trust, Do not let me be ashamed; Do not let my enemies exult over me.
- Psalm 26:1 — Vindicate me, O Master, for I have walked in my integrity, And I have trusted in the Master without wavering.
- Proverbs 29:25 — The fear of man brings a snare, But he who trusts in the Master will be exalted.
- 1 Peter 1:21 — who through Him are believers in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.
- Romans 10:16-18 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?” So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of the Messiah. But I ask, have they not heard? Indeed they have.