It is stunning. There is the ebb and flow to those who follow Jesus. At any given point, it was 100’s or thousands. Some became disciples, and some did not.
So why were so many so interested? Some were in it for the miracles. Who wouldn’t want to be? It was stunning.
Some were in it because of His teaching. Jesus spoke with the authority of God. Jesus was different.
Some accepted Him as the Son of God and the Messiah. They wanted to be citizens of God’s country, where Jesus is King.
Jesus knows that when you sow seeds, some produce a crop, others do not.
Numbers do matter. We need to get the message out to as many as we can. Some will become disciples. That is the end game.
Following Jesus means striving to be like Him. He always obeyed His Father, so that’s what we strive to do. To truly follow the Messiah means to make Him the Boss. That’s what it means to make Jesus Master of our lives.
Every decision and dream is filtered through His Word with the goal of glorifying Him in everything. We are not saved by the things we do for the Messiah but by what He has done for us. Because of His grace, we want to please Him in everything.
All this is accomplished as we allow the Holy Spirit to have complete control of every area of our lives. Jesus explains the Scriptures, empowers us with spiritual gifts, comforts us, and guides us. To follow the Messiah means we apply the truths we learn from His Word and live as if Jesus walked beside us in person.
- Matthew 4:25 — 25 Large crowds followed Him from Galilee and the Decapolis and Jerusalem and Judea and from beyond the Jordan.
- Matthew 8:1 — 1 When Jesus came down from the mountain, large crowds followed Him.
- Matthew 12:15 — 15 But Jesus, aware of this, withdrew from there. Many followed Him, and He healed them all,
- Matthew 14:13 — 13 Now when Jesus heard about John, He withdrew from there in a boat to a secluded place by Himself; and when the people heard of this, they followed Him on foot from the cities.
- Matthew 19:2 — 2 and large crowds followed Him, and He healed them there.
- Mark 2:15 — 15 And it happened that He was reclining at the table in his house, and many tax collectors and sinners were dining with Jesus and His disciples; for there were many of them, and they were following Him.
- Mark 5:24 — 24 And He went off with him; and a large crowd was following Him and pressing in on Him.
- Luke 7:9 — 9 Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled at him, and turned and said to the crowd that was following Him, “I say to you, not even in Israel have I found such great faith.”
- Luke 7:11 — 11 Soon afterwards He went to a city called Nain; and His disciples were going along with Him, accompanied by a large crowd.