Creation matters. Atheists reject God and reject God as the creator. If they don’t, their whole worldview collapses. In reality, there really are no atheists. Creation is clearly seen and there is no excuse for rejecting that God created the universe and all that is in it.
Human history began with man knowing God. Human history is not the story of a beast that worshiped idols, and then evolved into a man worshiping one God. Human history is just the opposite: man began knowing God, but turned from the truth and rejected God. God revealed Himself to man through creation, the things that He made. From the world around him, man knew that there was a God who had the wisdom to plan and the power to create.
Man realized too that this Creator was eternal … “His eternal power and Godhead”, since God could not be created if He is the Creator. These facts about God are not hidden in creation; they are “clearly seen”. “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament shows His handiwork”.
The word translated “hold” in Rom. 1:18 can also be translated “hold down, suppress.”
For God’s wrath is revealed from heaven against all godlessness and unrighteousness of people who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.
Men knew the truth about God, but they did not allow this truth to work in their lives. They suppressed it in order that they might live their own lives and not be convicted by God’s truth. The result, of course, was refusing the truth, and then turning the truth into a lie. Finally, man so abandoned the truth that he became like a beast in his thinking and in his living.
Atheism cannot be proven, and God’s existence must be accepted by faith. Obviously, disciples of Jesus believe strongly that God exists, and admit that God’s existence is a matter of faith. At the same time, we reject the idea that belief in God is illogical. We believe that God’s existence can be clearly seen, keenly sensed, and proven to be philosophically and scientifically necessary.
- Romans 1:20 (NASB) —For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
- Acts 17:24–27 — “The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Master of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things; and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;
- Psalm 8:1 —O Master, our Master, How majestic is Your name in all the earth, Who have displayed Your splendor above the heavens!
- Psalm 19:1–4 —The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands. Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words; Their voice is not heard. Their line has gone out through all the earth, And their utterances to the end of the world. In them He has placed a tent for the sun,
- Psalm 97:6 — The heavens declare His righteousness, And all the peoples have seen His glory.
- Acts 14:17 —And yet He did not leave Himself without witness, in that He did good and gave you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, satisfying your hearts with food and gladness.”