Old age is generally held in honor and the aged in society are to be respected. Because of the wisdom associated with their advancing years, elders had an important role of authority and guidance in Israelite society and the new covenant books speak of the leadership of elders within the church.
I must understand this and promote it. It is God’s goal for me.
Do not sharply rebuke an older man, but rather appeal to him as a father, to the younger men as brothers. | 1 Timothy 5:1
The old and elderly are to be respected. This is a basic understanding from God.
The Bible presents growing old as a normal, natural part of life in this world. There is honor involved in the aging process, because growing old is normally accompanied by increased wisdom and experience. “Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life” (Proverbs 16:31).
God wants us to remember that life is short and that the beauty of youth is soon gone.
- Leviticus 19:32 — ‘You shall rise up before the gray headed and honor the aged, and you shall revere your God; I am the Master.”
- 1 Peter 5:5 — You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
- Job 29:8 — The young men saw me and hid themselves, and the old men arose and stood.
- Proverbs 16:31 — A gray head is a crown of glory; It is found in the way of righteousness.
- Proverbs 20:29 — The glory of young men is their strength, and the honor of old men is their gray hair.