I have been baptized. That unites me with the death, burial and resurrection of my Master Jesus. I live a new life now and one day, my physical body will be resurrected, just like Jesus. Eternal life now and an eternal body in the future.
Resurrection of my body, after death, will happen. So is the eternal life I have right now as a follower of Jesus. They are not mutually exclusive. I have one now, and the other later. It is “yes / and”.
By His teaching, His miracles, and His own resurrection, Jesus clearly taught the resurrection of the human body. He has declared once for all that death is real, that there is life after death, and that the body will one day be raised by the power of God.
He transformed this teaching in a second way: He took it out of a book and put it into a person, Himself. “I am the resurrection and the life”! (John 11:25) While we thank God for what the Bible teaches (and all Martha had was the Old Testament), we realize that we are saved by the Redeemer, Jesus the Messiah, and not by a doctrine written in a book. When we know Him by faith, we need not fear the shadow of death.
- Romans 6:5 —For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection,
- John 6:39 — “This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day.
- John 6:44 — “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.
- Acts 26:23 —that the Messiah was to suffer, and that by reason of His resurrection from the dead He would be the first to proclaim light both to the Jewish people and to the Gentiles.”
- Romans 6:8 —Now if we have died with the Messiah, we believe that we shall also live with Him,
- 1 Corinthians 6:14 —Now God has not only raised the Master, but will also raise us up through His power.
- 1 Corinthians 15:20–23 —But now the Messiah has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep. For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so also in the Messiah all will be made alive. But each in his own order: the Messiah the first fruits, after that those who are the Messiah’s at His coming,
- 2 Corinthians 4:14 —knowing that He who raised the Master Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and will present us with you.
- Colossians 3:4 —When the Messiah, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:16 —For the Master Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in the Messiah will rise first.
- 2 Timothy 2:11 —It is a trustworthy statement: For if we died with Him, we will also live with Him;