When there is no government, there is complete anarchy. God has established government to place a check on lawlessness. It works. Of course, anarchy can also occur because of a lack of recognition of government and law.
The Bible speaks very clearly about the relationship between the believer and the government. We are to obey governmental authorities, and the government is to treat us justly and fairly. Even when the government does not live up to its role, we are still to live up to ours.
When the government asks us to do something that is in direct disobedience to God’s Word, we are to disobey the government in faithful confidence of the Master’s power to protect us.
- Romans 13:2–3 — 2 Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves. 3 For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same;
- Genesis 9:6 — 6 “Whoever sheds man’s blood, By man his blood shall be shed, For in the image of God He made man.
- Ezra 7:26 — 26 “Whoever will not observe the law of your God and the law of the king, let judgment be executed upon him strictly, whether for death or for banishment or for confiscation of goods or for imprisonment.”
- Proverbs 21:15 — 15 The exercise of justice is joy for the righteous, But is terror to the workers of iniquity.
- Proverbs 28:2 — 2 By the transgression of a land many are its princes, But by a man of understanding and knowledge, so it endures.
- Proverbs 29:4 — 4 The king gives stability to the land by justice, But a man who takes bribes overthrows it.
- Acts 25:11 — 11 “If, then, I am a wrongdoer and have committed anything worthy of death, I do not refuse to die; but if none of those things is true of which these men accuse me, no one can hand me over to them. I appeal to Caesar.”
- Romans 13:4 — 4 for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.
- 1 Peter 2:14 — 14 or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right.