God has a plan for my life. I need to focus on what that plan is and doing it. Anything else is foolish. I need to be careful. Am I walking in the way of God?
“Fools speak foolishness and make evil plans” (Isaiah 32:6)
I need to make the most of my time. Am I? I can waste my time. I can spend it on things that don’t matter in the short or long term. I need to recognize the culture is evil. It’s not that it is just ok. It is evil. Am I spending to much time absorbed in an evil culture? Yikes. That would be foolish.
The Bible has much to say about fools. The word fool today usually means “a senseless fellow, a dullard.” The biblical definition has the added dimension of “someone who disregards God’s Word.”
The Bible lists many characteristics of such a person, often contrasting him with one who is wise.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 says,
“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”
A fool is one whose wayward heart turns continually toward foolishness.
Proverbs 26:11 says, “As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly.”
Fools do not learn their lessons from the mistakes they make. They continue doing the same foolish things over and over again, to their own destruction.
I need to take care. If I don’t know what God wants me to do I am foolish. Wisdom is all about knowing and acting on the will of God. Foolishness is ignoring it.
- Ephesians 5:15–17 (NASB) —Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Master is.
- Jeremiah 4:22 (NASB) — “For My people are foolish, They know Me not; They are stupid children And have no understanding. They are shrewd to do evil, But to do good they do not know.”
- Jeremiah 5:4 (NASB) —Then I said, “They are only the poor, They are foolish; For they do not know the way of the Master Or the ordinance of their God.
- Jeremiah 5:21 (NASB) — ‘Now hear this, O foolish and senseless people, Who have eyes but do not see; Who have ears but do not hear.
- Psalm 92:6 (NASB) —A senseless man has no knowledge, Nor does a stupid man understand this:
- Luke 24:25 (NASB) — 25 And He said to them, “O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken!