It isn’t that atheists, agnostics and unbelievers don’t know God exists. They do. There is plenty of evidence that they ignore.
An atheist is a person who recognizes that God is God and he is not God, and whose pride finds this intolerable, generating a will to annihilate God. Since real revenge on God is impossible, he avails himself to an IMAGINARY REVENGE on God, which is defiant unbelief, or atheism/agnosticism.
For his invisible attributes, that is, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen since the creation of the world, being understood through what he has made. As a result, people are without excuse. | Romans 1:20
Atheism, at its core, is defiance. That defiance blinds atheists. They could believe but they choose not to.
Atheists play a rhetorical game that is basically intellectually dishonest:
- Assert the burden of proof is on theists
- Demand proofs
- Reject proofs automatically
- Proclaim atheists have NO burden
- Declare victory by default
But again, it is not about proof. It is about God being God and in control. Defiance is insipid. It leads to death. Faith is a choice. Faith is logical. Faith is reasonable. Defiance is irrational.
- John 5:38 (CSB) —You don’t have his word residing in you, because you don’t believe the one he sent.
- Hebrews 3:18–19 (CSB) —And to whom did he swear that they would not enter his rest, if not to those who disobeyed? So we see that they were unable to enter because of unbelief.
- Hebrews 4:2 (CSB) —For we also have received the good news just as they did. But the message they heard did not benefit them, since they were not united with those who heard it in faith.
- Numbers 14:11 (CSB) —The Lord said to Moses, “How long will these people despise me? How long will they not trust in me despite all the signs I have performed among them?
- Psalm 78:32 (CSB) —Despite all this, they kept sinning and did not believe his wondrous works.
- Acts 14:2 (CSB) —But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brothers.