Jesus is the very Son of God. Like all of us who follow Jesus, I must confess that. It is a huge revelation. It is a certainty in my life. It is the core of following Jesus.
And those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, “You are certainly God’s Son!” | Matthew 14:33 (NASB)
We have the witness of the first disciples and others who knew Jesus that he came and walked among us as the Son of God. There is an incredible number of witnesses.
This fact is what got Jesus crucified.
- During His trial before the Jewish leaders, the High Priest demanded of Jesus the following:
- “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God” (Matthew 26:63). “‘Yes, it is as you say,’ Jesus replied.
- ‘But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven’” (Matthew 26:64).
- The Jewish leaders responded by accusing Jesus of blasphemy (Matthew 26:65-66).
- Later, before Pontius Pilate, “The Jews insisted, ‘We have a law, and according to that law He must die, because He claimed to be the Son of God’” (John 19:7).
- Why would His claiming to be the Son of God be considered blasphemy and be worthy of a death sentence? The Jewish leaders understood exactly what Jesus meant by the phrase “Son of God.” To be the Son of God is to be of the same nature as God. The Son of God is “of God.”
- The claim to be of the same nature as God — to in fact be God — was blasphemy to the Jewish leaders; therefore, they demanded Jesus’ death, in keeping with Leviticus 24:15.
- Hebrews 1:3 expresses this very clearly, “The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of His being.”
Here are just a few who witness to Jesus as the Son of God.
- Matthew 14:33 (NASB) — And those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, “You are certainly God’s Son!”
- Mark 15:39 — When the centurion, who was standing right in front of Him, saw the way He breathed His last, he said, “Truly this man was the Son of God!”
- John 1:34 — “I myself have seen, and have testified that this is the Son of God.”
- Romans 1:4 — Who was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead, according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus the Messiah our Master,
- Hebrews 4:14 — Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.
- 2 John 3 — Grace, mercy and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus the Messiah, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.