God is good. God is good all the time. I struggle with temptation. I know all followers of our Master Jesus struggle as well.
I must start with the good news that we are more than conquerors. Jesus gives us the power of His Holy Spirit.
Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. | James 4:7 (NASB)
Ultimately, however, we know that Satan’s power over the disciples has been effectively destroyed as the war has already been won through our Savior’s death and resurrection which conquered the power of sin and death forever.
Nonetheless, Satan still prowls the earth looking to drive a wedge between God and His children, and his temptations are unfortunately a daily part of our lives.
My first job, in battling temptation is to submit to God. That is the main thing about the main thing. ALWAYS!
This word submit in James 4 (see below) is a military term that means “get into your proper rank.” When a buck private acts like the general, there is going to be trouble! Unconditional surrender is the only way to complete victory. If there is any area of the life kept back from God, there will always be battles. This explains why uncommitted disciples of Jesus cannot live with themselves or with other people.
“Neither give place to the devil,” cautions Paul in Ephesians 4:27. Satan needs a foothold in our lives if he is going to fight against God; and we give him that foothold. The way to resist the devil is to submit to God.
After King David committed adultery with Bathsheba, and killed her husband, he hid his sins for almost a year. There was war between him and God, and David had declared it. Read Psalms 32 and 51 to discover the high price David paid to be at war with God. When he finally submitted to God, David experienced peace and joy.
Submission is an act of the will; it is saying, “Not my will but Yours be done.”
- James 4:7 (NASB) —Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
- Matthew 6:13 — ‘And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.’
- 1 Timothy 6:11–12 —But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
- Daniel 11:32 — “By smooth words he will turn to godlessness those who act wickedly toward the covenant, but the people who know their God will display strength and take action.”
- Proverbs 2:1–2 —My son, if you will receive my words and treasure my commandments within you, make your ear attentive to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding;
- Proverbs 2:12–15 —To deliver you from the way of evil, From the man who speaks perverse things; From those who leave the paths of uprightness To walk in the ways of darkness; Who delight in doing evil And rejoice in the perversity of evil; Whose paths are crooked, And who are devious in their ways;