God is clear. I must recognize that authority comes from God. This is a foundational principle. I am challenged by Jesus to give to Caesar what is his and to God always be obedient.
“Give, then, to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” ~Jesus
Whether the Bible uses the terms “master,” “ruler,” “government,” or any other name for an established authority, the instruction is always the same – obey.
For to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right. | 1 Peter 2:14
I must remember that God created the authorities ruling over us just as He created us. As Paul wrote to the Romans, “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.
The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves”.
Peter wrote, “Submit yourselves for the Master’s sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right” (1 Peter 2:13-14). Both Peter and Paul also remind slaves repeatedly to be obedient to their masters for the same reasons.
Please note, however, this exception: But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.” | Acts 5:29
God always comes first!
- Romans 13:4 (NASB) — For it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.
- Romans 13:6 —For because of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God, devoting themselves to this very thing.
- 1 Timothy 2:2 — For kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.
- 1 Peter 2:14 — For to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right.
- Isaiah 45:1 —Thus says the Master to Cyrus His anointed, Whom I have taken by the right hand, To subdue nations before him And to loose the loins of kings; To open doors before him so that gates will not be shut:
- Jeremiah 25:9 —Behold, I will send and take all the families of the north,’ declares the Master, ‘and I will send to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, My servant, and will bring them against this land and against its inhabitants and against all these nations round about; and I will utterly destroy them and make them a horror and a hissing, and an everlasting desolation.
- Jeremiah 27:6 — “Now I have given all these lands into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, My servant, and I have given him also the wild animals of the field to serve him.
- Jeremiah 43:10 —And say to them, ‘Thus says the Master of hosts, the God of Israel, “Behold, I am going to send and get Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, My servant, and I am going to set his throne right over these stones that I have hidden; and he will spread his canopy over them.