God is God. Nothing is impossible with God. His plan will be accomplished. I can count on it.
I may not understand what God is doing but I don’t have to. Even Jesus admitted there were some things that only God knows. Jesus is okay with that. I must be as well.
There is nothing that happens that is outside of God’s sovereign will. For example, it was God’s sovereign will that Joseph be taken to Egypt, languish in Pharaoh’s prison, interpret the king’s dreams, and eventually save his people from famine and be honored by all.
At first, Joseph and his brothers were completely ignorant of God’s will in these matters, but, every step along the way, God’s plan was made plainer.
When Ephesians 1:11 describes God as the one “who works all things according to the counsel of His will,” it speaks of God’s sovereign will. God Himself expresses the fact of His sovereign will in Isaiah 46:10: “My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.” Because God is sovereign, His will can never be frustrated.
- Isaiah 46:10 (NASB) —Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things which have not been done, Saying, ‘My purpose will be established, And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’;
- Job 42:2 — “I know that You can do all things, And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted.
- Isaiah 14:24 —The Master of hosts has sworn saying, “Surely, just as I have intended so it has happened, and just as I have planned so it will stand,
- Isaiah 55:10–11 — “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.
- Jeremiah 23:20 — “The anger of the Master will not turn back Until He has performed and carried out the purposes of His heart; In the last days you will clearly understand it.
- Jeremiah 30:24 —The fierce anger of the Master will not turn back Until He has performed and until He has accomplished The intent of His heart; In the latter days you will understand this.