The Roman Centurion was very humble and knew that Jesus could give the command and his servant would be healed. He didn’t need to come to Jesus himself or have Jesus come to him.
Imagine having the kind of faith that shocks Jesus. It is simple trust. If I know that Jesus has the authority, that takes care of it.
Jesus was also shocked because the religious community of his day didn’t have this kind of faith. God is great and God can do anything. I need to know and believe that in my heart and soul.
May I have the kind of faith that shocks Jesus. May I have it now.
Taken aback, Jesus addressed the accompanying crowd: “I’ve yet to come across this kind of simple trust anywhere in Israel, the very people who are supposed to know about God and how he works.” Luke 7:9 (MSG)
Where should I put my faith. In God? In Jesus? In the Holy Spirit?
Yes! Yes! And Yes!
Jesus challenges me to believe in Him and have faith. This is foundational to my world as a disciple of Jesus.
Why should I believe Jesus? Jesus is the TRUTH. Jesus is the Way to God. Jesus came to pay the price I owe God for missing God’s goal for my life. Jesus is Life. Jesus is in charge of God’s country.
I can believe Jesus because I can trust Jesus. It is not that Jesus exists but that I can trust Him. He came to die for me out of love. I can rely on Jesus.
- John 14:1 — 1 “Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me.”
- John 3:16 — 16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
- John 3:18 — 18 “He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
- John 3:36 — 36 “He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”
- John 6:68–69 — 68 Simon Peter answered Him, “Master, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. 69 “We have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God.”