Jesus calls on me to be humble. God is God. God is great. I am not. I am a slave. That is all. I must be content in serving, not being served.
The Bible describes humility as meekness, lowliness, and absence of self. The Greek word translated “humility” in Colossians 3:12 and elsewhere literally means “lowliness of mind”.
I see that humility is a heart attitude, not merely an outward demeanor. I may put on an outward show of humility but still have a heart full of pride and arrogance.
Don’t call attention to yourself; let others do that for you. ~King Solomon | Proverbs 27:2
Jesus said that those who are “poor in spirit” would have the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:3).
Being poor in spirit means that only those who admit to an absolute bankruptcy of spiritual worth will inherit eternal life.
Humility is a prerequisite for the disciple of Jesus.
The Bible describes humility as meekness, lowliness, and absence of self. The Greek word translated “humility” in Colossians 3:12 and elsewhere literally means “lowliness of mind,” so we see that humility is a heart attitude, not merely an outward demeanor. One may put on an outward show of humility but still have a heart full of pride and arrogance.
Jesus said that those who are “poor in spirit” would have the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:3). Being poor in spirit means that only those who admit to an absolute bankruptcy of spiritual worth will inherit eternal life. Therefore, humility is a prerequisite for the disciple of Jesus.
- Micah 6:8 — 8 He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the Master require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God?
- James 4:10 — 10 Humble yourselves in the presence of the Master, and He will exalt you.
- 1 Peter 3:8 — 8 To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit;
- Exodus 10:3 — 3 Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said to him, “Thus says the Master, the God of the Hebrews, ‘How long will you refuse to humble yourself before Me? Let My people go, that they may serve Me.
- Proverbs 16:19 — 19 It is better to be humble in spirit with the lowly Than to divide the spoil with the proud.
- Isaiah 57:15 — 15 For thus says the high and exalted One Who lives forever, whose name is Holy, “I dwell on a high and holy place, And also with the contrite and lowly of spirit In order to revive the spirit of the lowly And to revive the heart of the contrite.
- Isaiah 58:5 — 5 “Is it a fast like this which I choose, a day for a man to humble himself? Is it for bowing one’s head like a reed And for spreading out sackcloth and ashes as a bed? Will you call this a fast, even an acceptable day to the Master?
- Zephaniah 2:3 — 3 Seek the Master, All you humble of the earth Who have carried out His ordinances; Seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden In the day of the Master’s anger.
- Luke 14:9–11 — 9 and he who invited you both will come and say to you, ‘Give your place to this man,’ and then in disgrace you proceed to occupy the last place. 10 “But when you are invited, go and recline at the last place, so that when the one who has invited you comes, he may say to you, ‘Friend, move up higher’; then you will have honor in the sight of all who are at the table with you. 11 “For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
- Romans 12:3 — 3 For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.
- 1 Corinthians 1:28 — 28 and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are,
- Ephesians 4:2 — 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,
- Colossians 3:12 — 12 So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience;
- Titus 3:2 — 2 to malign no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing every consideration for all men.
- James 3:13 — 13 Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom.
- 1 Peter 5:5 — 5 You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.