Luke got it right. Knowing and having supernatural courage (faith) about Jesus is what it is all about. He made it his mission to present “the facts”. He investigated it down to the last detail.
Imagine having been there and seen and known so many who experience Jesus. Imagine getting it right and writing about it. It is ours and we can know too. What a story. Thanks for men like Luke.
Having certainty is very important. I am convinced that Jesus is the Messiah and I have made Him my Master. His death has redeemed me and by the power of the Holy Spirit that raised Him from the dead, I am restored to full standing with God.
Now that is a very good word!
So many others have tried their hand at putting together a story of the wonderful harvest of Scripture and history that took place among us, using reports handed down by the original eyewitnesses who served this Word with their very lives. Since I have investigated all the reports in close detail, starting from the story’s beginning, I decided to write it all out for you, most honorable Theophilus, so you can know beyond the shadow of a doubt the reliability of what you were taught. | Luke 1:1-4 (The Message Bible)
May I know the reliability of what I have been taught. May I know it beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Doubt is an experience common to all people. Even those with faith in God struggle with doubt on occasion and say with the man in Mark 9, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” (verse 24).
Some people are hindered greatly by doubt; some see it as a springboard to life; and others see it as an obstacle to be overcome. The Bible has something to say about the cause of doubt and provides examples of people who struggled with it.
Classical humanism says that doubt, while uncomfortable, is absolutely essential for life. René Descartes said, “If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”
This is similar to what the founder of Buddhism said: “Doubt everything. Find your own light.” If we take their advice, we would have to doubt what they said, which seems rather contradictory. Instead of taking the advice of skeptics and false teachers, we will see what the Bible has to say.
What does God say?
- Job 19:25 (CSB) — 25 But I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the end he will stand on the dust.
- Joshua 23:14 (CSB) — 14 “I am now going the way of the whole earth, and you know with all your heart and all your soul that none of the good promises the Lord your God made to you has failed. Everything was fulfilled for you; not one promise has failed.
- Psalm 27:3 (CSB) — 3 Though an army deploys against me, my heart will not be afraid; though a war breaks out against me, I will still be confident.
- Daniel 3:17 (CSB) — 17 If the God we serve exists, then he can rescue us from the furnace of blazing fire, and he can rescue us from the power of you, the king.
- Mark 5:28 (CSB) — 28 For she said, “If I just touch his clothes, I’ll be made well.”
- Luke 1:3–4 (CSB) — 3 So it also seemed good to me, since I have carefully investigated everything from the very first, to write to you in an orderly sequence, most honorable Theophilus, 4 so that you may know the certainty of the things about which you have been instructed.
- Romans 8:38–39 (CSB) — 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Philippians 3:8 (CSB) — 8 More than that, I also consider everything to be a loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. Because of him I have suffered the loss of all things and consider them as dung, so that I may gain Christ
- 1 John 5:18–20 (CSB) — 18 We know that everyone who has been born of God does not sin, but the one who is born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him. 19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world is under the sway of the evil one. 20 And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding so that we may know the true one. We are in the true one—that is, in his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.