Jesus’ mission from God our Father was to bring forgiveness to the world. On the cross, Jesus accomplished the mission. Hanging on the cross, he was mocked by the religious leaders and the Roman soldiers.
They gambled to see who would get his clothes. His Holy attitude was they didn’t know what they were doing by killing him.
And they didn’t. And neither do we most days. Our missing God’s goal (aka sin) for our life put Him on that cross.
Jesus is all about forgiveness. He knows love like no other. God is in a good mood.
“Father, forgive them; they don’t know what they’re doing.” ~Jesus on the cross Luke 23:34 | (The Message Bible)
Forgiveness in the Bible is a “release” or a “dismissal” of something. The forgiveness I have in the Messiah involves the release of sinners like me from God’s just penalty and the complete dismissal of all charges against me.
- Consider this from the Apostle Paul. There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in the Messiah Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in the Messiah Jesus from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:1).
- Colossians 1:14 says that in God’s beloved Son “we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” The Amplified Bible translates the last phrase like this: “the forgiveness of our sins [and the cancellation of sins’ penalty].”
- God’s gracious forgiveness of our sin is to be the measure of our gracious forgiveness of others.
Jesus the Messiah’s ministry of forgiveness was foretold. God has a plan. God executes it in His son Jesus. Jesus paid the penalty for me. Amazing!
- But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Master appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. “She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.” | Matthew 1:20–21
- Now here is some good news! The next day John saw Jesus coming to him and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! | John 1:29