Why it matters to Jesus: Jesus is straight with us. The way is not easy. He says it over and over. Unfortunately, many in the church want us believe otherwise. Solomon knew otherwise as well. God’s goal for us is to persist no matter what.
- We need to vigilant.
- We need to be disciplined.
- We need to follow the narrow way.
- We need to take up the way of sacrifice.
- We need to leave everything behind for Jesus, our Messiah.
If the righteous will be repaid on earth,
how much more the wicked and sinful. | Christian Standard Bible. (2020). (Proverbs 11:31). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
Here is the big picture: Proverbs is aware that one saying which looks simple or pragmatic needs to be accompanied by another which complements it and complicates the matter. Prosperity may seem to come from being ruthless rather than soft-hearted, which brings respect but no cash.
The bottom line: Yet it also issues from generosity with what one has already, and if the wealth gained is to be the real thing it depends on righteousness; God makes sure of that.
- The use of wealth requires good sense not to squander it on kind but risky causes such as going bail or guaranteeing a loan for a stranger.
- It also involves kindness, which in this context suggests generosity and which also benefits oneself, and the sense not to trust in wealth.
- There are situations in which one truth is relevant; other situations require another.