God’s goal: Speaking ill of others, whether it is true or not, is just not God’s way. Jesus summed it up well, Judge not so that you will be not judged yourself. Wisdom says that it makes good sense to be discrete. God’s goal for us is to love one another.
What was one of the primary ways Jesus obtained wisdom? Jesus spent a ton of time in prayer. He talked with His Father. He listened to His Father. He got off by Himself. He stayed up late. He got up early.
Whoever shows contempt for his neighbor lacks sense, but a person with understanding keeps silent. | Christian Standard Bible. (2020). (Proverbs 11:12). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
Discretion is a by product of wisdom. I need more wisdom in my life. I really want it. Jesus shows me the way. I’ve missed this connection between prayer and wisdom too often. I am in pursuit of wisdom but I’m not praying.
I need to spend more time on my knees. I need to listen to God. I need to act on what He is saying. “Your will be done.” That should be my constant prayer.
- Matthew 13:54 (NASB) —He came to His hometown and began teaching them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?”
- Matthew 26:36 —Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to His disciples, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.”
- Luke 5:16 —But Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray.
- Matthew 14:23 — 23 After He had sent the crowds away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone.
- Mark 1:35 — 35 In the early morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went away to a secluded place, and was praying there.
- Luke 6:12 — 12 It was at this time that He went off to the mountain to pray, and He spent the whole night in prayer to God.