God’s promises to the meek is good news! Humility is the name of the game. Jesus challenges me to be humble. I have some good news. Jesus wants me to inherit the earth. That was the original plan. King Jesus has restored it for all of us who follow Him.
- Psalm 37:11 — But the humble will inherit the land and will delight themselves in abundant prosperity.
- Matthew 5:5 — “Happy [Blessed] are the gentle [meek], for they shall inherit the earth.“
According to the dictionary, to be meek means you are “showing patience and humility, gentleness … easily imposed upon, submissive”. The meek one doesn’t throw fits or fly off the handle under pressure. A good synonym is “gentle”. A meek person is under control.
Jesus challenges me to learn from Him. Jesus is gentle. Jesus is humble. Jesus shows me how to have compassion and love.
“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” | Matthew 11:29
I am to cloth myself in humility and be gentle with others. That is the kind of love that is the mission Jesus has for me. I have to let my pride go.
You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble. | 1 Peter 5:5
The end game of humility is justice. That is The Way of Jesus.
He leads the humble in justice, And He teaches the humble His way. | Psalm 25:9
When I am humble, I am glad. I feel good about the great things God is doing. It isn’t about me. It is all about my Master Jesus.
- Psalm 69:32 — The humble have seen it and are glad; you who seek God, let your heart revive.
- Psalm 147:6 — The Lord supports the afflicted; He brings down the wicked to the ground.
- Isaiah 29:19 — The afflicted also will increase their gladness in the Lord, And the needy of mankind will rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.
- Isaiah 66:2 — “For My hand made all these things, thus all these things came into being,” declares the Lord. “But to this one I will look, to him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word.”
- Zephaniah 3:11–12 — “In that day you will feel no shame because of all your deeds by which you have rebelled against Me; for then I will remove from your midst your proud, exulting ones. And you will never again be haughty On My holy mountain. “But I will leave among you A humble and lowly people, And they will take refuge in the name of the Lord.”
Grace is a gift. God gives me grace when I am humble. There is no peace if I am proud and haughty.
James 4:6 — But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, “God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”