Sometimes it seems like doing the right thing is not being rewarded. Solomon reminds us this isn’t true. God is God and there will be a day of judgement. God is the judge. We must trust him. We must be loyal to Him. He will be loyal to us. We will triumph in His power.
Why this is important: We can count on it because we can count on God. End of story. God is great. He will see us through.
Be assured, an evil person will not go unpunished,
but the offspring of the righteous will be delivered. | The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. (2016). (Proverbs 11:21). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.
God is the judge of sin
There will be a judgement. We like to think it won’t happen but it will. God is merciful but justice will be done. We can count on it.
We have been warned. We have no excuse.
What is our response?
Master Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:6 (CSB) — 6 This means one must not transgress against and take advantage of a brother or sister in this manner, because the Lord is an avenger of all these offenses, as we also previously told and warned you.
- Isaiah 26:21 (CSB) — 21 For look, Yahweh is coming from his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity. The earth will reveal the blood shed on it and will no longer conceal her slain.
- Psalm 99:8 (CSB) — 8 Yahweh our God, you answered them. You were a forgiving God to them, but an avenger of their sinful actions.
- Isaiah 13:11 (CSB) — 11 I will punish the world for its evil, and wicked people for their iniquities. I will put an end to the pride of the arrogant and humiliate the insolence of tyrants.
- Amos 3:14 (CSB) — 14 I will punish the altars of Bethel on the day I punish Israel for its crimes; the horns of the altar will be cut off and fall to the ground.
- Zephaniah 1:12 (CSB) — 12 And at that time I will search Jerusalem with lamps and punish those who settle down comfortably, who say to themselves: Yahweh will do nothing—good or bad.