Why this is important: Ultimately, God’s goodness is seen in His plan to redeem us from missing His goal (aka sin). The gospel is “good news.” In His goodness, God sent His Son to become the perfect and blameless sacrifice so we could be forgiven of our sins.
God does not want “anyone to perish but everyone to come to radically change our thinking (aka repentance)” (2 Peter 3:9), and it is “the goodness of God that leads you to repentance” (Romans 2:4).
- Not only is God good, God is in a good mood. God does good. His love is grounded in goodness. As King David says about God, “You are good and do good; Teach me Your statutes.”
- Jesus challenges us to understand the scope of God’s goodness. “He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.”
God is Good — Shown in His Love: God demonstrates his goodness in His love for us. God loves us so much, He gave His only Son to be sacrificed for us. Now that is good and that is real love.
- Psalm 86:5 — For You, Master, are good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon You.
- 1 Chronicles 16:34 — O give thanks to the Master, for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting.
- Psalm 25:7–8 — Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions; According to Your lovingkindness remember me, For Your goodness’ sake, O Master. Good and upright is the Master; Therefore He instructs sinners in the way.
- Psalm 69:16 — Answer me, O Master, for Your lovingkindness is good; According to the greatness of Your compassion, turn to me,
- Psalm 100:5 — For the Master is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting and His faithfulness to all generations.
Faith at Work: Our challenge is to help our colleagues see our love and the love of God. This is practical. We place ourselves last. Others always come first. We are positive and upbeat. We are happy and joyous. We honestly let others know how good God is and what a good mood He is in. You can use a non-religious phrase when people ask how you are: “It is a stunning day in paradise”!