Why this is important: We love to hear charismatic people talk. The speeches are moving. When I took speech in college, we also learned that both Hitler and Kennedy were very engaging. So was Billy Graham.
- But who lifts up Jesus?
- Is Jesus the prophet who was predicted to come and be lifted up?
That is the essential question. It is not about moving speeches. It is about Jesus.
We are sent by God to lift up Jesus the Messiah, not to give wonderfully beautiful speeches. ~Oswald Chambers
The Messiah is anticipated by the Jewish people as the Prophet of God. Jesus is that Prophet. Jesus the Messiah was acclaimed as a prophet by those who witnessed his miracles and heard his teaching. They recognized him as a bearer of the word of God, who spoke with authority concerning the nature and purposes of God.
A function of some of the prophets was healing and miracles. Moses performed many miracles, including parting the Red Sea. Elijah performed a miracle when he called fire down from heaven to burn up a sacrifice. Elisha performed a miracle when he made the ax head float in the water.
All four Gospel accounts record Jesus performing many miracles and healings (e.g., Matthew 8:14–15; Mark 1:40–45; Luke 8:42–48; and John 6:16–21). Jesus even raised up the dead. More amazing, Jesus was raised from the dead into an incorruptible body! Yes, let’s lift Jesus up.
In Deuteronomy 18 we read this important word:
The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own brothers. You must listen to him.
Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (Dt 18:15–16). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
- John 6:14 — 14 Therefore when the people saw the sign which He had performed, they said, “This is truly the Prophet who is to come into the world.”
- John 1:21 — 21 They asked John, “What then? Are you Elijah?” And he said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No.”
- John 7:40 — 40 Some of the people therefore, when they heard these words, were saying, “This certainly is the Prophet.”
- John 7:52 — 52 They answered him, “You are not also from Galilee, are you? Search, and see that no prophet arises out of Galilee.”