God is God. No one else is. God alone is in control. God is Great and God is Good. We need to know all of that and proclaim the good news of Jesus.
So where does the authority of Jesus come from? Jesus is His Son, but Jesus recognizes, as the Son of God, that are a few limits on His authority. Not much, but a few. Jesus is comfortable with that.
Jesus is the obedient Son. Jesus emptied Himself of all pride and gladly humbled Himself.
But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.
Matthew 24:36 (NASB)
What gives Jesus the right to speak and act on his Father’s behalf in forgiving me from missing God’s goal (aka sin), pronouncing judgment and promising eternal life to those who believe in him?
Jesus is the Son of our Heavenly Father, God. God is God. God gives His son authority. That is the way in the Kingdom of God.
- Mark 10:40 (NASB) — “But to sit on My right or on My left, this is not Mine to give; but it is for those for whom it has been prepared.”
- Philippians 2:6–8 (NASB) —Who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a slave, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
Good thing Jesus isn’t like me. I have a lot to say and I say it. I babble on. Not Jesus. He only ways what He hears His Father saying. Jesus listens, learns and acts on what God wants.
So Jesus said, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and I do nothing on My own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught Me.
John 8:28 (NASB)
Jesus declares that He is, from the beginning of time, just like God is the great “I am”.
Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.
John 8:58 (NASB)
The only way we can get to God is through Jesus. That is it. PERIOD!
- John 14:6 (NASB) — Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.“
- 1 Corinthians 1:24 (NASB) — But to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, the Messiah is the power of God and the wisdom of God.
- Colossians 2:10 (NASB) — In Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority.
Mark Shields said:
We follow God’s life plan with faith in the Son who has listened, learned, and acts on what God wants. Let us follow the plan with the Son of Man!
LikeLiked by 2 people
LikeLiked by 2 people