God’s love for humanity. There is good news in that the Word of God and Jesus offers an understanding of the source, character, requirement and value of love. It is based on the nature and actions of God our Father.
Jesus sums up God’s goal (command) for us as one of loving God and my neighbors. The way of Jesus is the Way of Love. Jesus makes it clear to us. There can be no doubt about it.
Where does love come from? Love comes from the Holy Spirit. It is a gift. It is fruit that grows in us. Because we have received the Holy Spirit, we can actually love, whereas before, we could not. I tried, but it was useless. It just wasn’t in me.
Is love optional? Yes, we get to decide whether to love or not. It is a gift. We can use it or not. It is a fruit that we can cultivate and grow, or not. So we get to decide.
I often am not loving. I can be mean and cruel.
I have no defense. “Master Jesus the Messiah, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”
- John 3:16 (NASB) — For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
- John 5:42 (NASB) — But I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves.
- John 15:10 (NASB) — “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.”
- Romans 8:39 (NASB) — Nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in the Messiah Jesus our Master.
- 2 Corinthians 13:14 (NASB) — The grace of the Master Jesus the Messiah, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.
- Ephesians 2:4 (NASB) — But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us.
- Hebrews 12:6 (NASB) — For those whom the Master loves He disciplines, And He scourges every son whom He receives.
- 1 John 3:1 (NASB) — See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.