God is patient with us when we miss His goal and plan. Jesus perfectly models that for us. Jesus is our example. Jesus shows us the way. We can’t do it on our own.
What is the main thing to know: God’s patience leads to my changing my mind (aka repentance). God’s patience prevents Him from destroying “the objects of his wrath.” Paul glorifies the Lord for His “unlimited patience” that saved him, “the worst of sinners”.
The goodness of God: How does God show His goodness? God is VERY patient with us. He really is. God is good and in a good mood. We know it because he waits on us to come to him. He wants us to change our minds about following Jesus and His plan. The Way of Jesus is the way of love.
The bottom line: God had immense patience with the evil people of Noah’s day, delaying judgment as long as possible. God is very patient. God wants all of us to know Jesus and be in obedience to God’s plans.
God’s goal: Today, “our Lord’s patience gives people time to be saved” (2 Peter 3:15). Jesus wants us to change our mind (repent). Have mercy on me Master Jesus! Thanks be to God He does have mercy.
The patience of Jesus the Messiah
- 1 Timothy 1:16 — Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus the Messiah might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.
- Matthew 17:17 — And Jesus answered and said, “You unbelieving and perverted generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring him here to Me.”
- John 14:9 — Jesus said to him, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
- 2 Peter 3:15 — Regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you.
- Revelation 2:21 — ‘I gave her time to repent, and she does not want to repent of her immorality.