Why this is important: Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God, exemplified all the Father’s attributes, including His compassion. When Jesus saw His friends weeping at the grave of Lazarus, He felt compassion for them and wept alongside them. Jesus leads the way in showing us how to be compassionate.
- Am I weeping for my friends?
- Are my actions for my family always compassionate?
- Is the fruit of the Holy Spirit growing?
Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
English Standard Version. (2016). (Colossians 3:12–13). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.
The Greek uses the term bowels of compassion because the Greek people found the deeper emotions in the intestinal area, while we locate them in the heart. As believers, we need to display tender feelings of compassion toward one another. This is not something that we turn on and off, like the TV set. It is a constant attitude of heart that makes us easy to live with.
Moved with compassion for the suffering of others, Jesus healed the large crowds who came to Him, as well as individuals who sought His healing. Jesus fully exemplifies the heart of God, love and compassion.
Compassion needs to be shown in actions — When Jesus saw the large crowds as sheep without a shepherd, His compassion led Him to teach them the things the false shepherds of Israel had abandoned. The priests and scribes were proud and corrupt; they despised the common people and neglected them, but Jesus had compassion on them, and He taught and loved them. Jesus acted on His compassion. As a disciple who is learning, so must I.
- Daniel 1:9 — 9 Now God granted Daniel favor and compassion in the sight of the commander of the officials,
- Exodus 3:21 — 21 “I will grant this people favor in the sight of the Egyptians; and it shall be that when you go, you will not go empty-handed.
- Psalm 106:46 — 46 He also made them objects of compassion In the presence of all their captors.
- Jeremiah 42:12 — 12 ‘I will also show you compassion, so that he will have compassion on you and restore you to your own soil.