Jesus was on a mission. Jesus had as his focus only doing what God, His Father, wanted him to do.
God is God and has a plan all laid out for us. Our mission should be to do what Jesus has in mind for us. That is how we glorify God.
When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus the Messiah whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.
English Standard Version. (2016). (John 17:1–5). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.
Jesus was obsessed with the details of God’s plan. Jesus checked them off one by one. Nothing was overlooked. Not a single solitary detail was missed. All the law and the prophecy was accomplished.
Jesus challenges me to have the same obsession. God has given me an assignment.
- I must focus on completing the job day by day.
- I know that many times a day I miss God’s goal for me.
- Jesus gives me the strength, through His Holy Spirit, to get up and live in His victory.
What is “eternal life”? It is knowing God personally. Not just knowing about Him, but having a personal relationship with Him through faith in Jesus the Messiah. We cannot know the Father apart from the Son.
- It is not enough simply to “believe in God”; this will never save a lost soul from eternal hell.
- “The devils [demons] also believe, and tremble” (James 2:19).
- Our Master’s debate with the Jewish leaders makes it clear that people may be devoutly religious and still not know God.
- Eternal life is not something we earn by character or conduct; it is a gift we receive by admitting we are sinners, repenting, and believing on Jesus and Jesus alone.
The Father answered His Son’s request and gave Him the glory. There is in heaven today a glorified Man, the God-Man, Jesus the Messiah! Because He has been glorified in heaven, sinners can be saved on earth. Anyone who trusts Jesus will receive the gift of eternal life.
Because we share His life, we are overcomers; for we also share His victory! “For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world; and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith” (1 John 5:4).
When you were born the first time, you were born “in Adam” and were a loser. When you are born again through faith in Jesus, you are born a winner!
Frank Hubeny said:
Good reminder: “When you were born the first time, you were born “in Adam” and were a loser. When you are born again through faith in Jesus, you are born a winner!”
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: “I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do.” ~Jesus — Jesus Quotes and God Thoughts | Talmidimblogging
You are right eternal life is knowing Him! It isn’t merely a ticket to heaven. Also grateful to always see you say we are saved by Grace!
LikeLiked by 1 person