What does God hate? We must watch out for our eyes, tongue, hands, heart, feet and mouth. These are issues of arrogance, lies, murder, evil, wickedness, and lying under oath. Got it. This is serious and we know it.
There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.
English Standard Version. (2016). (Proverbs 6:16–19). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.
What is the seventh thing God loathes with a passion? This one took me by surprise. A troublemaker in our family. Uh oh! The first community of God is our family.
- What happens when there is a troublemaker in our midst?
- Do we even recognize what is going on?
- Do we know how to deal with the issue?
- Am I the one who is disrupting things?
Here are a couple of things to look out for:
- “Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.” (Ephesians 6:1) Obedience, or the lack of it, is a good barometer of health. It should start early but it is never too late to deal with. It is the foundation that our society is built on.
- “Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise),so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth.” (Ephesians 6:2-3) Beyond obedience, is there a family culture of honor? Am I focusing enough time on this in my family? Am I paving the way by showing love and honor of my spouse?
- “Do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.” (Ephesians 6:4) Am I, as a parent, creating the trouble? Mothers and fathers, as the leaders of the family, need to focus on discipline and instruction about Jesus. That is the motivation. I need to be careful with fragile souls about creating a culture of anger in the home.
Of course, we have a more important family, namely the family of God.
- How are I doing with my brothers and sisters in Jesus?
- Am I serving them?
- Do I show my love for them?
Good application questions brother. Especially as it is driven towards family and different members of the family
LikeLiked by 1 person