I need to be content with who I am in God’s family. I should not put on any airs and think more highly of myself. God is in control and it is He who promotes me when I trust in Him and not trust in myself.
God does it at the right time. Our Father is so wonderful that way. I should live carefree. God loves me and will take care of me. I don’t have to worry at all. I should keep a cool head and not let the devil catch me napping.
Peter recognizes we will be anxious. He challenges us to give it all to our loving and caring heavenly Father. He is in a good mood. God is in control.
Here are the key ideas:
- God cares for us.
- God’s goal for us is that we be alert.
- God is God and will protect us.
- God is in a good mood all the time.
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
English Standard Version. (2016). (1 Peter 5:6–7). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.
If anybody knew from experience that God cares for His own, it was Peter! When you read the four Gospels, you discover that Peter shared in some wonderful miracles. Jesus healed Peter’s mother-in-law, gave him a great catch of fish, helped him pay his temple tax, helped him walk on the water, repaired the damage he did to the ear of Malchus, and even delivered Peter from prison.
How does God show His love and care for us when we give our cares to Him? Good performs four wonderful ministries on our behalf.
- He gives us the courage to face our cares honestly and not run away.
- He gives us the wisdom to understand the situation.
- He gives us the strength to do what we must do.
- He gives us the faith to trust Him to do the rest.
Some people give God their burdens and expect Him to do everything! It is important that we let Him work in us as well as work for us, so that we will be prepared when the answer comes.
Cast your burden upon Yahweh [the Lord], and He shall sustain you.
- Isaiah 26:3 — 3 “The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, Because he trusts in You.
- Matthew 6:33 — 33 “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
- Jeremiah 17:7–8 — 7 “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Master And whose trust is the Master. 8 “For he will be like a tree planted by the water, That extends its roots by a stream And will not fear when the heat comes; But its leaves will be green, And it will not be anxious in a year of drought Nor cease to yield fruit.
- Romans 8:6 — 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,