The literal translation Luke 12:32 is “Don’t fear, little flock; for your Father was pleased to give you the kingdom.”
So, disciples will receive provisions of food, drink, and clothing in addition to the kingdom—that is, the benefits of God’s reign, the “peace” of salvation and eventually rulership. For “kingdom,” “reign,” and “rulership” all translate the same Greek word. And it brought God pleasure to give his kingdom to Jesus’ disciples.
The past tense of “was pleased” indicates that although full enjoyment of all the kingdom’s benefits awaits the future, God has already given his kingdom to Jesus’ disciples. As a result, they need not fear they’ll lack the provisions of food, drink, and clothing any more than a flock of sheep need to fear their shepherd won’t lead them to green pastures and still waters. Jesus’ description of the flock as “little” draws a contrast with “all the nations of the world.” God’s pleasure in giving the kingdom to Jesus’ disciples shows that they should not think he cares little for them because they’re only a little flock.
- Luke 12:32 — 32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom.
- Jeremiah 51:46 — 46 “Now so that your heart does not grow faint, And you are not afraid at the report that will be heard in the land— For the report will come one year, And after that another report in another year, And violence will be in the land With ruler against ruler—
- Isaiah 41:23 — 23 Declare the things that are going to come afterward, That we may know that you are gods; Indeed, do good or evil, that we may anxiously look about us and fear together.
- Mark 10:32 — 32 They were on the road going up to Jerusalem, and Jesus was walking on ahead of them; and they were amazed, and those who followed were fearful. And again He took the twelve aside and began to tell them what was going to happen to Him,
- Acts 27:24 — 24 saying, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before Caesar; and behold, God has granted you all those who are sailing with you.’
God seems to be teaching me lately don’t fear the future as much as its important to trust in Him for who He is
LikeLiked by 1 person