God the Father and Jesus the Son are the same. Dishonor one and you dishonor the other. Jesus said this to religious people and challenged them to believe Him.
We love to speak of God. Do we love to say the name of Jesus the same way?
Does Jesus have the same place of honor in our lives as God does? Are we following the way of Jesus?
Here are the key ideas:
- God decided that his son Jesus would have a place of honor.
- God’s goal is for us to recognize the place of honor that Jesus has in the world.
- God is God and can do whatever he wants to do. This is one of them.
For the Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.
English Standard Version. (2016). (John 5:22–24). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.
I am amazed at the grace and wisdom of God. From a human point of view, it would seem foolish for God to become Man; yet it was this very act of grace that made possible our salvation and all that goes with it. When Jesus the Messiah became Man, He did not become inferior to the angels, for in His human body He accomplished something that angels could never accomplish. At the same time, He made it possible for us to share in His glory!
He is not ashamed to call us His brothers and sisters.
Are we ashamed to call Him “Master”?
- Hebrews 2:9 (ESV) — 9 But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.
- Acts 19:17 (ESV) — 17 And this became known to all the residents of Ephesus, both Jews and Greeks. And fear fell upon them all, and the name of the Master Jesus was extolled.
- 2 Peter 1:17 (ESV) — 17 For when he received honor and glory from God the Father, and the voice was borne to him by the Majestic Glory, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased,”
- Matthew 17:5 (ESV) — 5 He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.”
- Mark 9:7 (ESV) — 7 And a cloud overshadowed them, and a voice came out of the cloud, “This is my beloved Son; listen to him.”
- Luke 9:35 (ESV) — 35 And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is my Son, my Chosen One; listen to him!”