The Spirit of Yahweh is upon me, Because Yahweh has anointed me To bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to captives And freedom to prisoners;
Why this is important: There is an amazing beauty to the good news of Jesus. In the Old Testament it is revealed, as Isaiah declares, “How lovely are the feet …” It comes to us through the peace that Jesus brings to us from God the Father. It is a good news of happiness. It was all planned out by God, revealed in the Old Testament, and executed in the New Testament.
The good news of Jesus is all about salvation. Jesus delivers us from the power of missing God’s goal [sin]. Jesus is our mighty savior and deliverer.
The good news becomes clear through the reign of God and his son Jesus. The good news that Jesus constantly hammered home is the glory revelation of the Kingdom [reign] of God.
- Isaiah 52:7–10 — 7 How lovely on the mountains Are the feet of him who brings good news, Who announces peace And brings good news of happiness, Who announces salvation, And says to Zion, “Your God reigns!” 8 Listen! Your watchmen lift up their voices, They shout joyfully together; For they will see with their own eyes When the Master restores Zion. 9 Break forth, shout joyfully together, You waste places of Jerusalem; For the Master has comforted His people, He has redeemed Jerusalem. 10 The Master has bared His holy arm In the sight of all the nations, That all the ends of the earth may see The salvation of our God.
- Isaiah 40:9 — 9 Get yourself up on a high mountain, O Zion, bearer of good news, Lift up your voice mightily, O Jerusalem, bearer of good news; Lift it up, do not fear. Say to the cities of Judah, “Here is your God!”
- Isaiah 41:27 — 27 “Formerly I said to Zion, ‘Behold, here they are.’ And to Jerusalem, ‘I will give a messenger of good news.’
- Isaiah 61:1 — 1 The Spirit of the Master God is upon me, Because the Master has anointed me To bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to captives And freedom to prisoners;
- Nahum 1:15 — 15 Behold, on the mountains the feet of him who brings good news, Who announces peace! Celebrate your feasts, O Judah; Pay your vows. For never again will the wicked one pass through you; He is cut off completely.