I am to be a disciple. That is the goal that Jesus has for me. Making disciples is important because it is the Master’s chosen method of spreading the Good News of salvation through Jesus the Messiah. During His public ministry, Jesus spent more than three years making disciples — teaching and training His chosen ones.
Jesus gave them many convincing proofs that He was the Son of God, the promised Messiah; they believed on Him, though imperfectly. He spoke to the crowds, but often He drew the disciples aside privately to teach them the meaning of His parables and miracles. He sent them out on ministry assignments.
Jesus also taught them that soon He would be returning to His Father following His death and resurrection. Though they could not comprehend it, He made the disciples this astonishing promise:
“I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in Me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father”
Jesus also promised to send His Spirit to be with them forever.
Discipleship — Peace is a result for the disciple
One of the benefits of being a disciple is that obedience brings peace. If I’m not at peace, I need to find out where I am missing out on doing the will of God.
- John 14:27 — “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.
- Numbers 6:26 — The Master lift up His countenance on you, And give you peace.’
- Psalm 4:8 — In peace I will both lie down and sleep, For You alone, O Master, make me to dwell in safety.
- Psalm 29:11 — The Master will give strength to His people; The Master will bless His people with peace.
- Psalm 37:11 — But the humble will inherit the land and will delight themselves in abundant prosperity.
- Isaiah 26:3 — The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in You.
- Matthew 11:28–29 — “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
- Luke 2:14 — “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.”
Want to know how to be saved? Click here for more.