Why this is important: God had an old plan before the new one. It was the plan based on following lots of rules (laws). The old plan was pointing to the new way all along the way. It couldn’t complete anyone who followed it. Even then, He had friends, that based on their heart, pointed to the new plan as well.
Much of our “religion” and current “Christianity” is based on the old plan.
- What is the clue?
- Is the emphasis on the rules of our Father or the relationship with our Father?
- The new plan is “Rules” 0 — “Relationship” 10. Game over!!!
May I be complete based on His new plan. So be it.
Some other thoughts on religion:
- “God rewards those who seek him. Not those who seek doctrine or religion or systems or creeds.” ~Max Lucado Jesus is clear. God’s goal for us is to seek God. If we seek God, we will find Him. There is a reward there for us. Seeking leads to finding. Jesus is also clear that it not about finding religious truth or enlightenment.
- “You’re interested in religion, I’m interested in people.” ~Zechariah the Prophet The people of the town of Bethel sent a delegation to the priests and prophets with a question. They wanted to know if the should continue fasting annually as they had been doing on a certain day for a long time now. They had turned something from God into a ritual.
- What is the new plan? So God had an old plan before the new one. It was the plan based on following lots of rules (laws). The old plan was pointing to the new way all along the way. It couldn’t complete anyone who followed it. Even then, He had friends, that based on their heart, pointed to the new plan as well.
- “The Son of Man is no lackey to the Sabbath. He’s in charge!” ~Jesus What is more important? Rules and regulations? Or the Ruler? Jesus deals with the problem of “being religious” head on. The religious leaders were giving his disciples a hard time about breaking a rule. Jesus establishes that He is in charge. That is the central issue to be dealt with. Do I believe Jesus is in charge (the Master) and act on it? Will I believe it today or default to religious rules and procedures?